Thursday 19 November 2015

OUIL 403 End of Module Final Evaluation

End of Module Self Evaluation
Joe Baker


1. Which practical skills and methodologies have you developed within this module and how effectively do you think you are employing them within your own practice?

I have developed a few skills and methods of working during this first module. One of the main skills, which has improved quite a lot that I can think of, is my ability to draw figures from observation. To be honest, I haven’t yet put this to use properly within the visual skills module as I haven’t chosen any themes which involve people, except the book cover brief although I chose to draw them in a cartoon style. I have always been interested in drawing things of an organic nature, such as people and animals, so this skill will defiantly keep getting practiced and will be put to good use. My skills on Photoshop have improved slightly but this is certainly something I need to work on, as there is still a lot I don’t know. My final book cover was predominantly Photoshop work so I believe I could have made it look better if my skills were more advanced.


2. Which principles / theories of images making have you found most valuable during this module and how effectively do you think you are employing these within your own practice? 

One of the most valuable things I have been taught so far is the importance of line quality and how it can transform a piece of illustration. Another thing I have realised is that more often than not, simplicity can be much more effective than complicated; I have tried to demonstrate this in my work. Maybe not in the Typology brief but in the second two, I tried to make my designs as simple as possible but still making them interesting and eye catching with a sense of narrative.

3. What strengths can you identify within your submission and how have you capitalised on these?

I believe I have demonstrated my ability to work with a range of media. I have shown this by doing my final pieces for each brief in different medias such as pencil drawings, ink with brushes and digitally on Photoshop. Similarly, I have shown that I don’t just work in one style. For the first brief I tried doing detailed yet expressive pencil sketches, where as in the second two, I went for a more cartoon/ characterised approach.

4. What areas for further development can you identify within your submission and how will you address these in future?

There are certainly a few things I need to improve on in my future modules. Two of these are more research, and much more sketchbook development with different medias and ideas. I will try and solve these problems by managing my time better, avoiding procrastination and staying motivated from start to finish of the brief, so I am not rushing everything all at once, days before the deadline. Another thing within my work I want to improve, is putting more of a meaning behind my drawings, I think this will come with time and practice.

5. In what way has this module introduced you to the Ba (Hons) Illustration programme?

This module has given me a taste of what to expect in the coming months. It has made me realise that the quality and quantity of work that is expected is very high. The standard of work amongst my peers is excellent and I now know that there is some real competition within the class. At the same time I have noticed everyone taking great interest in each other’s work and ideas, almost working as a team to complete the tasks. I have also realised how intense the course is, I am aware that this is the first module and that it is only going to get worse. It has made me quite anxious about the future and I am unsure whether I will be able to cope.



6. How would you grade yourself on the following areas:



12345
Attendance
x


Punctuality


x


Motivation

x



Commitment

x

Quantity of work produced
x


Quality of work produced


x
Contribution to the group

x




No comments:

Post a Comment