Friday 22 January 2016

OUIL 405 End of module self evaluation



Leeds College of Art
BA (Hons) ILLUSTRATION
Level
04
OUIL405 Visual Narratives
Credits
20
End of Module Self Evaluation

NAME



1.  Which practical skills and methodologies have you developed within this module and how effectively do you think you are employing them within your own practice?


I have developed a few new skills in this module, one being screen printing. I had previously done this at my last college but never with two colours, I found this quite challenging and confusing especially when drawing on the acetate because you can only use black. Also working collaboratively is something new to me, but in the first hotdog book brief we were made to go and explore leeds with people we hadn’t necessarily spoke to before and create a book with them, this is something I quite enjoyed and made me push myself when it came to the drawing because I didn’t want to let the group down. Another skill I have learned is story boarding and building tension within a piece of work. Before this module I have never used in design and now I understand the basics of it and the skills needed to make a book.



2. Which approaches to research have you found most valuable during this module. How have you interrogated your research to identify appropriate ideas?


Artist research has defiantly been most helpful to me, whenever I came across a problem when creating work I would research other artists work and see how they did certain things, e.g. when I was struggling to make puddles look realistic I looked at Jon Mcnaughts work and realised it was much more simple than I thought. Also going out experiencing a place for myself first hand was quite good, and drawing things from observation, I have never been keen on drawing in public but I kind of got used to it after the hotdog book breif. Admittedly my research hasn’t had a massive influence on my final piece, the artist research defiantly has but researching the location wasn’t really much help to me as I struggled creating a narrative based on this. Which is why I ended up doing a story about my day out with the dog rather than the history of the place its self.






3. What strengths can you identify within your submission and how have you capitalised on these? What aspects of your submission are you satisfied with?

I believe one of the strengths within my submission is the time and crafting ive put in to my artwork. I believe my patience helped me a lot during the making of my final piece because it was quite stressful sketching and painting so many pages in so little time. Ive never done that much work in a time scale like this before.





4. What areas for further development can you identify within your submission and how will you address these in the future?

Definitely my experimentation e.g media testing and roughing in my sketchbook. Part way through the module I got incredibly stressed about all my work and the COP essay and thought there was no way I was going to be able to do it all so I lost all my motivation. This massively effected my work out put up until a couple of weeks before the hand in. Next time I am going to try and get started straight away so I am not rushing everything all at the end. Another thing is blogging, I believe my blogging has been satisfactory for this module but it could use some major improvement, even as little as blogging the feelings I had about my work on the day.





5. How effectively are you making decisions about the development of your work?
What strategies informs this decision making?


I don’t understand the question entirely, but Id say quite effectively. I am starting to understand what works and what doesn’t especially when it comes to making up my own narrative which I have never experienced before


6. How effectively have you managed this project and organised yourself during this module?

Not very well to be honest, as I mentioned earlier I was very stressed out before and over the Christmas break and was worrying to much about the work which effected my productiveness. I think one reason for this was because it took me for ever to come up with a story line and ended up changing it multiple times. My motivation got better after Christmas which is why I managed to complete the book and I am quite happy with what I achieved in so little time.







7.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance



x

Punctuality



x

Motivation


x


Commitment


x


Quantity of work produced

x



Quality of work produced


x


Contribution to the group

x



The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self-evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.


·       A printed copy of this evaluation should be submitted with your work.
·       A copy of your end of module self evaluation should be posted to your studio practice blog. This should be the last post before the submission of work for this module and will provide the starting point for the assessment process.
·       You should also post a copy of your evaluation to your PPP blog as evidence of your own on going evaluation.

Notes / Comments for the Module Leader














Signature

Date:


No comments:

Post a Comment