Monday 15 May 2017

Creative Report

The first person I tried contacting was my favourite illustrator called Dadu Shin, he produces mainly editorial illustrations and has made work for a lot of major clients including the New York times. He posts pictures quite often and a lot of them seem to be for the New York times so I was a bit unsure he would reply, as he seems very busy and probably has more important things to think about.





I sent him a message via Instagram but unfortunately he did not reply. I was bit gutted because I was very curious to find outa bit about his process because I would love to make work like his, whether he would give this information away I dont know but it would have been interesting. 

So next I sent a similar message to another one of my favourite illustrators called Grace Helmer.
Although her work is brilliant, she is probably not as well known as Dadu so I was bit more hopeful for a reply










I tried writing a message that wouldn't make this interview seem like too much of a task for the illustrator as they are likely to be busy all the time.




I got a response the following day and was quite relieved because I was running out of time. Before I got the reply I was worried about how I was going to ask the questions, whether to ask them all in one big message or ask them one at a time in separate back and forth messages, but I knew that would be a slow process over Instagram message and would risk not getting a replies.







Fortunately she replied asking me to send all the questions to her email, which makes sense because I could then just bullet point a few things I wanted to find out and she could give me all the answers in one message which would be much more efficient and easier for her.







These were the questions I sent and now I'm waiting for a response. I was thinking maybe I should have asked something about her creative process, because I am interested to know if her work is 100% paint or whether she edits in on photoshop, but maybe she might not want to give anything like that away.



*Edited*
Proof of response




No comments:

Post a Comment