Thursday 30 March 2017

First commission

I was recently contacted by a guy who owns a skate shop in Bolton. He said he'd seen some of my work on Instagram and asked if i could draw him a couple of pictures. One of his cat which will be getting printed underneath some skateboard decks, and the other of the town hall clock in Bolton which is a well known building in the center of Bolton.



Unfortunately the work of mine he said he liked was some stuff i did a few years ago which was very detailed and precise. I told him thats not really the syle of work i like to make any more but ill still do it for him. As i knew this experience would definitely be beneficial for me. when i was back in Bolton just after the 504 hand in, i decided to pop by the skate shop just to show him some sketches id done and get a better idea of what he wanted.


 I knew there was probably no point doing any roughs for the cat because he seemed pretty sure he just wanted me to copy a picture of it what he sent me. As for the town hall I thought it might be bit boring and weird just to have a plain building on the back of a t shirt, especially if it was aimed to be sold to the youth skate community. So I drew a few roughs incorporating different aspects of the centre of bolton surrounding the building

However when I showed him he didn't really seem very interested and said he would just prefer the building.



 I was a bit nervous about doing this because id never met him before and i didn't know if he was going to like what i had drawn. it was fine in the end, originally hed asked me just to do it in pencils but i advised him otherwise as it might not looked the best once scanned in, he took my word for it and i decided to do it with brush and ink.
For some reason it looks alot darker than it did on photoshop but when i look at it in the photo veiwer it seems to look okay. This definitely is not the sort of image i want to be doing alot of, its quite the opposite but i need the experience and hes paying me to do them.

He said he really likes this one so now im about to start the town hall drawing


No comments:

Post a Comment