Tuesday 17 April 2018

Sally Deng Interview

Ive been in contact with up and coming illustrator Sally Deng. I first saw her work on instagram and I was a huge fan instantly. I was keen to find out how she looks for and receives commissions. Also about what media she uses to create her images. I wanted to keep the questions short but to the point because I didn't want to risk not getting a reply or seem like I was mithering.
Im glad that I contacted her now and I now realise that it is probably crucial for me to stick with creative people after university.
Also I now know that her illustrations are made with acrylic which I would never have guessed. Im definitely going to try this for myself

Thanks for responding I appreciate it! 
Here they are -
What university did you go to? 
What were your first steps after graduating and how did you make illustration your full time job?
In terms of the creative process, do you use a layer of watercolour under your crayon or just all crayon? (especially the waves and surfers)

I went to Art Center College if Design. After graduating, I ended up traveling to different places for different reasons but I saw that as chance to hand out promos to any art directors that would see me. And I use neither watercolors nor crayons. They’re all acrylic paint and color pencil and there’s no specific order of what is layered on first. Hope that helps!

Thankyou, do you have any advice for a young creative who's just about to graduate and wants to enter the world of illustration?
That's what I meant in the U.K. We call coloured pencils crayons, I think the combination works really well all the colour palettes are great.
Thanks again really appreciate it!

I’m sure you’ve heard this before but surround yourself with creative people and people you admire. When I first started, meeting art directors and handing them postcards really helped. Or just snail mail them if they’re too busy to meet. Also, explore and have fun doing other things than illustration. The more knowledge/experience you have in other fields, the better your art would be.

Some of Sallys work - 
Image result for sally deng illustration

Image result for sally deng illustration

Related image

No comments:

Post a Comment