Wednesday 25 April 2018

Commission for the summer

Following some work which I completed last year for the owner of Tuesdays skate shop in Bolton, Which was to come up with the designs for a skateboard deck and t shirt print. I recently contacted him again to see how well he was getting on and to let him know I am open to do more work if he ever wanted. The boards and t-shirts have all sold out now which I was surprised to hear, (50 of each were printed). I was paid £100 and was my first ever paid job but I feel like I undersold myself as the drawings took absolutely ages

He has requested the same work again but with different designs, one is another image of his cat and the second design is a drawing of a large well known bridge in Bolton which runs next to the skatepark. Unfortunately the work I did last year was highly representational and more on the fine art side of things which is the complete opposite to what I want to be focusing on after uni. I asked is maybe this time he would consider letting me take a more illustrative  approach and he has agreed which im really pleased about. This is what I will consider my first ever actual illustration job, the designs last year were basically just copying pictures.

I told him I will go and see him in the shop when I return home after uni to discuss the illustrations with him.

I was hesitant to contact him at first as he hasn't messaged me since he paid me, but I'm over the moon that I did now. This has given me the confidence to want to message more people actually asking for work, even if people say no then they can always pass your name on which is still very beneficial in terms of trying to get noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment